Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Grateful Heart on Valentine's Day



I just had a wonderful three day weekend. That in and of itself is such a treat. There is actually time to accomplish all the necessary chores with some left over for relaxing and not feeling guilty about it. I love nothing better than to curl up with a good mystery book and I was able to finish one this weekend. The ex-policeman turned PI solved the case while he was recovering from a cancerous brain tumor. I could totally relate.

On top of that it was Valentine's Day. What a great excuse to sip a little of the bubbly, eat chocolates and be surrounded by flowers. Even in elementary school I loved this holiday. I loved decorating my little brown valentine bag and reading the cards that were dropped in it. I loved the special vintage pop up card complete with lace I always received from my great uncle. I even loved (and still do) those little candy message hearts. This was probably the start of my hopelessly romantic side.

Sunday morning was even better than Valentine's Day. For the 2nd year in a row, Jacksonville was the site of the 26.2 with Donna. Thousands of people started at 7:30 am and ran either a half or a whole marathon. That's 13.1 or 26.2 miles! I find it hard to believe that anyone can run that far-it just doesn't seem humanly possible. Yet thousands did, in their pink shirts, pink shorts, pink hats, pink wigs, pink tutus, smiling the whole way. These folks had a cause. They were running to find a cure for breast cancer. They were running for their friends, their sisters, their mothers, their aunts, for all of those who have survived or succumbed to this terrible disease. They were running so future generations would never have to face breast cancer. And they were running for me.

Yes, I am a 1 year and 2 month breast cancer survivor. So early on the morning of Feb. 15th, I donned my pink heart shirt and my pink sparkling boots, stood on the side of the road and cheered (since I could never ever run that far). I cheered for all those amazing athletes. I celebrated their hard work and dedication. I encouraged them to make it to the finish line. I thanked them for participating. Because step by step they were running to find a cure for breast cancer. Watching this group I knew it could happen. For this I was eternally grateful.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a fab writer! I look back on the day of that photo as a day that really amounted to something of significance. I am usually pretty locked up in the "science" of matters, but that day there was something generated that cannot be measured or tested. I am glad that I got to feel that kind of a "vibe".


Peace!

T-Cubed

Anonymous said...

Betsy,
I am grateful for you and your courage. Never give up! Keep smiling, you have no idea how many people you are blessing with your smile!
Love, Wanda Lankford